Saturday, May 22, 2010

the first strawberries





The young chickens are very playful! If I am weeding or picking they like to get a running start and hop up my back and on to my head....this needs to stop.



The first strawberries were picked this evening; here's a simple and delicious salad idea that really shows them off:

Any delicate green will do, but I prefer mache. Slice the berries in half if they're small (most homegrown ones are a bit smaller than the tasteless behemoths in the grocery store) and toss with some cubed semi-soft cheese. Throw some ribbons of basil on top and then splash with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. This salad really is the essence of summer!






1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fabulous salad! My strawberries are still green- but I can't wait to try it. I am still laughing at the chicken on your head :)

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails