Monday, May 17, 2010

at ease




People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than their burdens are attached to them. - George Bernard Shaw, "Family Affection" Parents and Children, 1914



I recently purchased the print above by Sam Wedelich http://www.dwelldeep.com as a gift for my husband. I absolutely adore it. I imagine these little doodle people come to him in much the same way as my paper people come to me.


Sometimes I hear someone cutting loose and exclaiming, "You only live once!" maybe they ordered cheesecake for dessert, or splurged an expensive pair of shoes....two things that would get me feeling pretty giddy myself. The thing is, those words can have quite a chilling effect, they spur me to recalibrate and assess whether my actions are bringing me closer to freedom, or wrapping me up in complications. Oh, what a delicate balancing act!


What happened to human beings that caused them not to treasure being at ease? Heart disease, depression, anxiety, loneliness, and the decline of the family...all caused by stress, but somehow we refuse to help each other out of this.


It happens to be one of those quiet days when I allow myself the time to ask, why? before I do another thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails