Saturday, August 7, 2010

miso - it's what's for dinner







I love soup and will happily eat it all year round. Tonight I'm making miso soup; it's light and may not be a meal on its own soup, but it is a healthy accompaniment. Once you get the basic ratio down you can tweak it to your liking.


Miso is a fermented paste of soybeans, brown rice, or barley. It's tangy and salty and great for dressings and marinades - keep a container in the fridge (it lasts a while) and you can experiment.


For a basic soup:


  • boil 4 cups of water
  • add wakame, or arame (dehydrated seaweed) to the water. Let simmer for 10-20 minutes.
  • add a third of a cup miso, but don't let it boil. A trick I learned is illustrated above - take a sieve and drop it in the water then push the miso paste through it with a wooden spoon. This helps it dissolve faster; you don't want to overcook any of the ingredients and loose valuable nutrients
  • drop in cubed tofu and cook until it reaches the soup temperature
  • add a dash of toasted sesame oil and/or soy sauce to taste
  • throw some sliced green onion on top
  • This is the base; you can add whatever veggies you like.

I'm hoping this soup will give me the energy to push on after tuck-in time. A client picked up a commission today and I have a little time before my next two are due, so tonight I can get into the studio and experiment a little. I went to the art supply store today and came home with canvas and some fresh new paints -- here's hoping my energy will hold out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails