Wednesday, April 21, 2010



Some of the biggest lessons I ever learned were taught to me by animals. As a child I had plenty of unstructured time to wander around the farm and into the woods. We always had cats and a dog - it wasn't a family without the dog. When we were lucky enough to have the space, we had goats and a pony. When I was five my father brought home an orphan goat. We put her in a box by the wood stove and I was given an old soda bottle with a nipple to feed her. I can clearly remember her large thickly lashed eyes looking up at me and her soft nose quivering in anticipation of the warm milk.

Over the years I learned about responsibility while caring for a chipmunk, baby possum, or feral kitten. I learned patience waiting at the edge of a paddock for hours waiting to gain the trust of a previously abused horse. I had full knowledge of the birds and the bees and had witnessed birth by second grade.

One afternoon I waved to my mom from the back of an unbroke pony while she was hanging clothes on the line, no bridal, just watching her ears turn back to me questioning while I guided her with my weight and the pressure of my legs.

None of this would be all that special throughout most of history; it's still common in many parts of the world today, but for the average American child it is an alien environment that takes time to adjust to. This experience is simply not feasible for most families, but some observation of animals and nature is essential. Unstructured time alone using your imagination...creating a world to delight you...it's where creativity blooms. Young children have a sense of curiosity, but have not yet developed the ability to internalize the information obtained through reading and direct instruction. They need time to gather it and process it. Children are are miraculously gifted with the ability to ask what they need to know.

Today I brought our new chicks to my daughter's Kindergarten class. We live in Philadelphia and I'm sure many of the children have never been this close to a farm animal. After a few minutes they really settled in and started to make some very interesting observations...what if they had more time? Days before the visit their teacher asked me, "What if they ask if these chicks are the chicken they eat?" What if they do? ... I'll save that for another post.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more- I've learned so much from living with animals and the reward that comes from caring for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift to have grown up surrounded by so many animals! I was a city kid who would've been amazed to see a live chick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot living in the city can teach you too! I guess my effort is to bring them together.

    Before the age of eight I spent chunks of time very isolated because of our location and it may have led to my shyness as a child....although I believe it's genetic as well. I used the words, "mistaken for a rebel" because I had a comfort level with being alone and I was open to doing things in a completely different way because I wasn't observing as many of the cultural norms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Love the title of your blog, Rosemary. And it is always a deep pleasure to hear your thoughts. I'm so glad that you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails